Sunday, August 17, 2008

Toast...


One year and five months ago, I put on my cutest pair of pink and silver running shoes and married the man of my dreams. Ever since that day I have been asking my sister to give me a copy of the toast she gave that made all my wedding guests cry, this week she finally came through...

It brought me to tears again, and thought it deserved a post:

"Good Afternoon. The first thing I thought about when Jill told me the news of her engagement to Brett was how happy I was for her. The next thing I thought was, "wow, I have to write a speech!" As most of you know, I'm generally the shyer sister, so as you can imagine, the thought of having to write this speech was a bit overwhelming. But, in true BeVard fashion, after weeks of thinking about what I wanted to write, I only sat down to write it last night. So here it goes.

I have had the privilege of being Jill's sister and friend for 21 years. We have grown up together through much laughter and even a few tears here and there. I have always been able to count on Jill to pick on me and give me a hard time. But more importantly I have always been able to count on her to be there through thick and thin. Whether I was falling off diving boards, falling off my bike or just simply needed her, Jill has always been there to greet me with a hug, a smile and even an occasional much needed joke. I remember one time, and I don't really recall why I was so down, but Jill came barging in my room singing some old school Whitney Houston song at the top of her lungs....and I'll give you a moment to picture that one! Anyways, not 10 seconds into the song I had already completely forgotten why I was sad. And that is just one of so many times she helped lift my spirits.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Jill for being the best older sister a girl could ask for. I wouldn't know anything about my childhood....mostly because there are no pictures of me...if it weren't for her. I could listen to her stories of us growing up all night.

I also want to take this opportunity to welcome Brett into the family. I could not be more thrilled to be able to call him my brother-in-law. My Dad spent years with a BB gun close at hand for all the boys who have come and gone throughout Jill's life. That really is true! But I can honestly say that if he were here today he would gladly put the weapon down, not too far away, and warmly welcome Brett into the family with the rest of us. Brett, the happiness that you have given Jill makes her glow. After all it's hard not to smile with all those cheesy one-liners you pull! I thank you Brett for making Jill's dreams come true.

Jill you have been a role model to me and a true friend. In the last few years I have grown to appreciate and admire you. Even though there were times when I wanted to rip your hair out, and times when I probably tried to, I wouldn't change one moment we have shared; good and bad. I only hope that in the years to come as you grow old with Brett we can share even more memories than we already have.

Congratulations Jill and Brett on a marriage that I know will last forever. I only hope that through the years your love for each other will grow so deep, that years from now you will look back on your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least."

1 comment:

Traveling Up said...

That is a fantastic toast! I don't even know you and it made me cry! Hooray for sisters! I've always wanted one.