Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oops...

Ever since Peter started sleeping through the night I have gone into his room before I went to bed, picked him up and snuggled him for a couple minutes before putting him back in his crib. It is a time that I truly cherish, and that Brett never even realized that I did until a few weeks ago when he caught me (usually he is down stairs turning off lights, locking the house and getting water while I have my mommy/baby time).

When Brett finally did catch me, he wasn't thrilled with the potentially baby waking activity, but since Peter had never cried he didn't give me a hard time.

Until last night.

We went up to bed after the Daily Show, and as Brett was doing his thing I was visiting with Peter. Things were going normally until he was put back in his crib and the loudest scream ever followed. Knowing that we have trained our baby to calm himself (it usually take less than 5 minutes), I left the room.

Five minutes passed and the screaming was still going on, so I went to check on him. The minute Peter was in my arms he calmed down and passed back out on my shoulder... until I put him back in his crib again. This time we decided to give him 15 minutes, the entire time arguing if we should go sooth him again or not.

I felt that he was slowly calming down (longer pauses between screams, and the crying was turning into whimpering), but Brett couldn't take it any longer and got up to calm him again. This time it didn't work so well.

The whimpering turned back into screams and uncontrollable crying, so I went and got Peter from Brett and told Brett to go to bed (he had to get up early and needs sleep more than I do). Finally around 12:20am Peter had calmed down and even though he was awake I thought I could put him back in his crib without having him cry.

It worked! I crept out of the nursery and back into bed, where Brett greeted me by saying, "You're a miracle worker!" then added, "but you are never getting Peter up when he is sleeping again!"

Tonight, I plan to go in and look at the baby but sadly, no more picking him up :(

No comments: