Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Job!

So, again, this is really overdue in being posted - but hey, I am trying to catch up!

About a month ago, Brett had 3 new developers start working at Buildtopia to help him get his new project up and running. The second day Brett went to lunch with one of them, Charlie, and happened to get into a conversation about how hard it can be to get a job sometimes when you don't have a college degree. Brett mentioned that I had not finished my degree, and how in the past it had never been a problem for me, however now that I was looking for work from home positions it was becoming more difficult because many of those jobs are in specialized areas.

This lead Charlie to ask what my background was, and Brett told him that I had worked in restaurant and catering management for several years, before taking positions at the National Pest Management Association and NAIFA doing Executive Assistant and Event Planning work. To which Charlie said that he had the perfect job for me, and gave Brett the phone number for a women he knew in Richmond that owned a catering and food delivery business.

So, Brett got the name, number and website and told me to give her a call and see what she was looking for. About 2 minutes into the call I knew that this would be the perfect job, and that I would LOVE my boss!

Her company, Chef Maura Inc., currently does catering and weekly meal delivery to the Richmond area and she would like to expand to the Washington DC area. The only thing she needs is someone to run her NOVA business.

We set up a time for me to come down to Richmond for an interview and even told me that I should bring the baby so I wouldn't have to find a sitter (how cool is that!). The following week, I went down to meet Maura, her staff, see the kitchen and work out details of this arrangement. Right away she offered me the job, and even offered to help me out by increasing the commission amount for my sales so that I could make enough money to make this worth my while. In addition, she sent me home with 2 weeks worth of meals for Brett and I to try so we could get to know the product.

During the past month Maura and I have been working on a marketing plan and getting me all set up with a phone and materials to get our NOVA office in gear! We hope to launch our product in the area this month or in June, and will starting marketing as soon as we establish that date.

So, if you are looking for a cateror let me know!!!

No comments: