Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Not so hidden meaning

Most people who are close to me know that I don't really like swearing, and that I have a tendency to be a little naive when it comes to innuendo. One way that I "protect" my ears is by purchasing all my music from Walmart who censors all of the albums that they sell.

The only problem is, I am finding out from friends that some of the stuff that I sing along to isn't so innocent! A few songs that I recently learned were completely dirty...

Push It, By Salt-N-Pepa (I really thought they were just talking about dance moves or something)

Milkshake, By Kelis (there kind of a trend on me not picking up the sexual meanings when food is involved in songs)

Superman, By Souja Boy (don't even ask me what it means, I will not repeat)

Kiwi, By Maroon 5 (actually, Brett told me that most of their songs are about sex, I just never really put that together)

Another funny example is Papa Roach's song Forever. Brett downloaded the censored version and burned it on a CD for me.

I loved it, however there was a line "Your my _______, in this moment I am lonely," and I was baffled as to what explicit lyric was in the blank (because I could not figure out what bad thing could go in the sentence).

Finally I asked Brett, who told me it was "heroin," to which I responded...

"What is wrong with saying someone is your heroine - that is a really huge complement, I would love for someone to tell me that I was their HERO."

Flew right over my head.

No comments: