Thursday, April 14, 2011

Peter's Light Bulb Moment

This morning, when I asked the kids what they wanted for breakfast, Peter said, "A bagel with cream cheese and eggs, please."

Peter's favorite breakfast (or lunch or dinner for that matter) is egg sandwiches, so I assumed that he was asking for an egg ON a bagel with cream cheese. When I handed it to him I quickly learned that this was NOT what he had envisioned.

The child flat out lost his mind throwing a tantrum (don't let anyone fool you into thinking "the terrible 2s" are the worst stage - 3 is WAY worse... And I am terrified to find what 4 has in store for me).

Well call me mean, but I took the sandwich out of Peter's reach, and walked away (last I checked I am NOT a short order cook, nor do I listen to screaming and crying).

For the next 5-10 minutes Peter screamed, yelled, cried and threw his body around in his booster seat. I did not look or speak to him the entire time.

Then very suddenly he stopped, took a breath, and said to himself, "My mommy doesn't listen to crying."

Taking a second large breath and wiping the tears from his eyes he said, "Mommy, I am sorry for my behavior. Can I have my bagel egg sandwich, please?"

Victory!!! Now how do I get to this point without the massive tantrum in the middle???

No comments: