Tuesday, March 25, 2008

When Abbott and Costello search for jobs online

A few weeks ago I resigned from my 30-40 hour a week property management job to spend more time with Peter and focus more on our growing family. After Brett and I looked over all of our finances we found that his income covers all bills, mortgage, and what we want to put in savings each month. That left the responsibility of earning enough for food and entertainment on me. Which means that I am now looking for a new way to bring in a little money.

I already have one part time job (which I have had since October), where I work as an assistant to an interior decorator creating her sample books and client books. This job is perfect because I do it completely on my own time, however she only has about 40 hours per month for me.

So, we decided that the best way for me to make money was to find something very part time on the computer OR (for a more conducive situation while raising my kids) - providing day care in my home. Both options are being researched daily on the job sites, and I have gotten tons of interest (yay) - but last night's conversation when Brett got home was just ridiculous.

Me - I am shocked at how little some people want to pay someone to watch their kids, and/or help with computer work, etc.

Brett - Well, you are on Craig's List - try the Washington Post

Me - OK, I found some "work from home part time" listings - There are a bunch for DBA. Doesn't that mean "Doing Business As" - Like Jillian Gardner DBA Super Mom

Brett - I think they mean Database Administrator

Me (thinking that his description means data entry) - I know how to use a database

Brett - Yeah, well they are looking for a skilled professional that can work from home

Me - Yeah? Isn't that me?

Brett - True... but I meant skilled in ADMINISTERING a database

Me - Oh, OK then how about a school bus driver - the ad says you can bring your infant or preschool age child with you! Plus they have benefits.

Brett - Honestly, I think your CRV is a little big for you to be driving.

Me - Fine, I am going back to Craig's List, there were a lot more options on there. (Sarcastically) Do you think I should check the Adult Section?

Brett - Of course, that is probably why the pay was so low for the other jobs you were looking at. It was for kids!

At that point we stopped searching because we couldn't stop laughing and we were going out to dinner, but the nonsense continued this morning while we were talking online. Peter started banging on the key board...

Peter - 4378bjyhfsadwe/iloy

Me - Sorry, that was Peter

Brett - Looks like Peter is ready to do data entry

Me - Peter Lincoln DBA Cute Baby

In all seriousness, if you know anyone looking for some help with day care let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bean,
I haven't seen or talked to you in quite awhile, but I enjoy your blogs! :o) I saw an add on Craigslist that made me think of you. It was an ad under the "Event Gigs" section in Northern Virginia of a person looking for someone to make them a cruise-ship cake. Just a thought...but you could certainly turn this into a home business for business birthday parties, weddings, ect. From the pics I've seen of your works you could get quite a bit of business! Just a thought. Hope all is well! Jenny Julia (Caroline's friend)